Thursday, January 31, 2013

January Report for A Lovely Year of Finishes

Congratulations to me!!  I completed my one project as well as a few more...
A Lovely Year of Finishes

1)  The wedding quilt has been bound and will soon be on its way to the happy couple.  The binding is red with tiny white polka dots.  A full picture next month.

2)  The Jo Morton top which I thought I might be able to finish, has been completed.  The backing is made as well as the binding.  I'm getting ready to sandwich and quilt.

The Jo Morton Signature Quilt Top

3)  I also finished a table runner that needed to have the rest of the border quilted and the binding sewn on.  Done!!

Top (Holiday) Side
Reverse (Winter) Side
The top side was made using my Christmas scraps (2 1/2" strips) that were cut using an old binding tool as my template.  I marked the tool with tape to make it 1" shorter and then I was able to cut more pieces from my scraps.

I am so pleased with this month's completions.  Can't wait to start my next project - see you tomorrow with my February plans.  Please check with Fiber of all Sorts to see more Lovely Finishes!!

Happy Stitching!!

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Progress on my 2 UFOs

I am pleased to tell you that I am making progress on my January goal for "A Lovely Year of Finishes."  I had hoped to bind the wedding quilt with label and to hopefully finish a top that has been sitting around for 5 years.  If you go back to my last post (Jan. 7), you will see where I started.

The wedding quilt has binding attached and hand sewn down on 2.5 sides.  That is my hand work for this week.  Shouldn't be a problem.

The old top met with a few challenges.  First I had to get the blocks all sashed and the rows sewn together.  It was going together swimmingly when, as I was about to attach the last inner border, I noticed this...  (Can you see my boo-boo?  Hint - the first 2 rows are correct!)


Rip, rip, rip and stitch, stitch, stitch and that was fixed.  Then I had to go shopping to find the outer border fabric (oh, poor me, what a terrible chore).  Our LQS to the rescue (which by the way has an amazingly huge selection of reproduction prints) and with the help of my saleswoman Cheryl, I found a great print.  I almost added a third skinny border between the inner and outer border but decided against it.  The way I determined that was to take a picture with folded fabric and just laid on the table.  First with and then without the skinny border.  Once I cropped the 2 photos so all I could see was a small portion of fabrics, my decision was easy - the skinny border just added more clutter.  I'm thinking of binding this in a dark brown or maybe a dark red.  I need to get this quilted first; I even have the backing prepared.
This was a Jo Morton pattern from her Jo's Little Women Club.  The signatures are from the club's participants.

Hope you are making progress on your January projects.  I've also started 2 other little projects just to keep up my insane obsession with doing 6 things at once.  More on those projects next time.

Thanks for stopping by and check back with Judy L's great Design Wall Monday post.  Such amazing quilts!!  Oh, by the way, the mistake in the first picture was the last block in row 3 and the last block in row 4 - they were both turned the wrong way!

Happy Stitching!!

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

YIPPEE - yesterday's pictures are posted

Please go back to yesterday's post to see the pictures that wouldn't load.  Finally moved my pictures to Picassa and loaded them that way.

Have a good day!!

Monday, January 7, 2013

2013 - A Lovely Year of Finishes

According to one of my New Year's resolutions for 2013, I will make a dent in my UFOs.  To "keep me on the wagon", I have joined "A LOVELY YEAR OF FINISHES" hosted by Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts and Melissa of Sew BitterSweet Designs.

A Lovely Year of Finishes
The rules are simple:  decide on the first of the month what UFO you want to finish and then report at the end of the month that you have finished that project!  There are prizes, mid-month check-ins (optional), etc.  Easy-peasy!!  I can do this!!!!!

My first UFO to finish is to bind the wedding quilt for my granddaughter.  They were married in August and the quilt was finished in October or November and then it sat.  And sat.  And sat.  I have the binding cut and prepared.  Just need to sew it on by machine and finish it by hand.  Oh, and the label.  So that is my goal for January!!  Here is a picture of the unfinished quilt - somewhat hidden for obvious reasons.

Since last week I did finish a few small projects - bindings on some mug rugs, a sleeve for a wall hanging (and hung!), cleaned up half of my sewing studio, a few more bindings on 3 placemats, and I think that 's it.  Add that to putting away Christmas decorations, I think I accomplished quite a bit (for me!).

Mug Rugs - ready for next Christmas

My design wall is still the same as last Monday since I didn't have a chance to sew any sashing on the blocks nor did I go shopping to find a border fabric.  Here it is again...  I hate to say it, but I think I can finish this top as well as binding the wedding quilt.  Fingers crossed.

Please check back with Judy L. to see more interesting design walls and look into Shanna and Melissa's group.  Today (1/7) is the last day to register.

Thanks for stopping by - see you next week.  Happy Stitching!!