Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Sun is Out!!!

Hooray!!  The sun came back to northern Michigan!!  It was on vacation for almost an entire week and left us with gray clouds and rain, rain, and more rain.  Thursday, the temp reached 57 degrees - amazingly awful.  Yesterday the sun came out and we got to 75 degrees.  Today, it's almost 80 and sunny again!  Yippee.  Unfortunately, all this sunshine prevented me from finishing this post which I actually started yesterday morning but I'm sure you understand...

I am also sure that you are all anxiously awaiting the drawing for the prize - well, it wasn't that difficult to count all the comments - there were actually 4 comments - WooHoo!!!  Thank you all for your nice comments.  I let the random number generator whirl away for quite awhile while it thought about a number from 1 to 4...wait for it...wait for it...The number chosen was 3 and the winner of my contest was Mandy from M and M plus 3.


Congratulations Mandy, email me your address and I will send this along to you forthwith (on Monday).  I hope you have fun creating a little fall prettie with these cute fat quarters.  I deliberated a long time about which quilt to make and I decided on # 3 - the quilt from Kathy Brown's book, Strip-Smart Quilts.  The title of the quilt is "Hide n' Seek".  (there is no connection to quilt #3 and comment #3 - purely coincidence)


I've started on it already - cut the solid color strips and the individual pieces.  I had to wait to get the book so I cut the triangles according to my idea of what they were - turned out I cut them wrong.  (I cut them with an equilateral triangle (60 degrees with 3 equal sides) instead of an isosceles right triangle (90 degrees with 2 sides the same).  I love to throw in some math!!!  However, not a problem, my units will just be smaller but the effect will be almost the same.  It is very colorful and the individual fabrics shine - I am very pleased.  How do you like it??  Lots more to do but chain piecing is a good thing while I keep plugging away at organizing our home.  Here's my design wall with the twosies stuck up there:


Each row is separated by an off-white Kona cotton.  Thanks to my quiltie buds for the pretty fabrics.
I had better get this posted quickly so you will know who won.  I appreciate all your comments and as I said earlier, I like all the quilt choices so you may see one of them again with other fabrics.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend and I hope to post again very soon!!

7 comments:

  1. That lucky Mandy! Love the new quilt start on the design wall!! Interesting how that goes together!! YAY! for Michigan sunshine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MB we must have commented at the very same time - and my submission got wacked into cyberspace. Arrghh.
    Yeahh #3, I knew it. And it's looking great!
    Glad the sun came back - It's been a beautiful weekend here in SE Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yahhh for me! I never win anything, I don't even try, I left a comment only because I love your applique! I can't wait to see how you end up mounting your beautiful work. Oh and your quilt will be just as wonderful. I'll be watching your blog for the progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the strip of the Kona white between each line -- it really makes your colors stand out vibrantly! And congrats to the winner! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, my! What an interesting pattern, I haven't seen that before! What a great way to show off those wonderful fabrics. Post again when it's finished, would ya?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barb's #58 & you're #59!! did you 2 plan that??
    good work goin' on there, judy. Can't wait to see the flimsie!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats to Mandy. I read her blog all the time.
    Love the new quilt on your design wall.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I'll send you a reply back.