Monday, July 18, 2011

So Many UFOs, So Little Time

I've been working on various UFOs - all at the same time.  A little here, a little there, and back to UFO #1,... (you know what I mean).
My #1 finish was the baby quilt for my niece's baby (due in August).  I mailed it today in time for the shower on Saturday.  I'm happy with the way it turned out.  I also learned (or remembered) a neat trick for quilting in the ditch.  Most machines come with a blindstitch foot (on my Bernina it is #5) which has a little metal plate perpendicular to the fabric.  It runs right in the groove of the seam and the stitches go right in the ditch - slick!!  Look for a similar foot on your machine.  I meandered in the busy fabric.  In the yellow border, I machine quilted a little poem welcoming the new baby - it's hard to see in the picture. 

Sorry it's so blurry

Fun backing - a Dr. Seuss fabric



Writing in the yellow border (click to see better)
 


 









I've also been working on my alphabet ala Lynne's Letter Quilt Along (The Patcherie Menagerie).  I'm almost caught up except for the 'B'.  It was looking pretty wierd so I need to redo it.  The 'A' is also a bit too small so I'll probably redo that one too.  I just noticed that I didn't add the connector to the right of the 'G'.  This is a fun exercise and one that will be useful as I hope to be teaching a similar class in the fall at Delphine's Quilt Shop.


      My Letter Quilt Along - 'B' is in for repairs


I found some great border fabric for my Hide 'n' Seek quilt - haven't been working on the blocks but I have my fabric all lined up and ready to go.  I had to search for the fabric as it is about 2 years old - Soiree by Lila Tueller.  Found it online - what would we do without the internet?  If you ever need a particular fabric that's not available at your local shop, try http://www.quiltshops.com/.  It sure is a helpful site.


Border fabric
Gaylord just finished its Alpenfest on Saturday.  The town goes all out with a parade, Swiss/German costumes, games, carnival, free food, etc.  The merchants all dress in dirndls and lederhosen.  Here's Delphine's daughter and Delphine all ready for the festivities.  The Dirndl Quilt was made last year - the block I made is in row 2, third one from the left (red dress with navy bodice).

Hopefully I will finish and/or accomplish more on my quilts in progress.  Until next week, happy stitching!

Judy in Michigan


4 comments:

  1. I love your letters! This is a fun quilt along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your baby quilt! And you are cleaning house by working on all these UFO's! Have fun with the letters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that border fabric.
    Great baby quilt too. Always a good thing to get a UFO done. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your letters!! And the script around the baby quilt is so 'you' and very thoughtful!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I'll send you a reply back.